This post is designed to help you make sense of the 4506-T form. Learn how to fill out, when and where to file the form to collect information on your paid taxes.
What is a form 4506-T?
The IRS form 4506 T, also referred to as a Request for Transcript of Tax Return, is a tax form completed by taxpayers who wish to get a copy of their original tax return, a tax return transcript, or other tax records they filed with the IRS. The transcript obtained via filing the tax form 4506-T can only be provided for the current fiscal year and returns processed during the three previous tax years.
What information is reflected on a tax transcript?
Tax transcripts requested via form 4506-T contain information about all the actions associated with and taken to your taxpayer’s account. A transcript accumulates relevant information from other tax forms, ranging from a W-2 to 1065, and gives you a detailed overview of the taxes you paid to the IRS in the previous three years.
What is the 4506-Tform used for?
There are a few cases in which taxpayers will need to get a tax transcript or order a tax return copy. The most likely situations include:
- you lost the original copy of the return;
- you want to see your income history;
- you want to clear your status with the IRS;
- you require some information from the return to get a mortgage or loan;
- you or your tax professional need information from the return to handle an issue or resolve a dispute with the IRS.
note that the tax return transcript will not reflect any changes made by you or the IRS to the filed return. If you need a transcript that captures any transactions on your account that took place after filing the return, you will be requesting a tax account transcript instead. The ordering procedures are explained below and are the same for both types of tax transcripts.
Requesting a tax transcript: form 4506-Tinstructions
A tax return transcript is something you can order online, by phone, or by mail if you or your tax advisor need a return copy filed with the IRS. Here is a detailed instruction on how to do it correctly:
- Get tax transcripts online: the irs.gov official website utilizes a helpful tool called “Get Transcript“ designed to assist taxpayers in ordering tax transcripts and copies of their returns remotely.
To use the service, you will need:
- the basic taxpayer’s information such as name, date of birth, mailing address from the most recent tax return, social security number, and filing status in order to be identified by the system as the person entitled to request such a form;
- access to your electronic mail account;
- the number of your credit card or home equity loan/home equity line of credit/mortgage/auto credit account number;
- a mobile phone number whose account is linked to your name.
Once you are registered with the service, you can view, download, and print the following types of documents: tax return and tax account transcripts, a record of account transcripts, wage and income transcript, verification of non-filing letter.
- Order tax transcripts by phone: if you are unwilling or unable to go through the registration process to complete a 4506-T online form on the official IRS website, you can place an automated telephone request by dialing 1-800-908-9946.
- Request tax transcripts via mail: another way to request a tax transcript is to send a 4506-T form by mail. To do that, download 4506-T form from the official IRS website or other trusted resource featuring the latest 4506-T tax forms, then print it out and complete the form by hand. Taxpayers who fill out a 4506-T printable form and send it by mail can expect the IRS to reply in the same manner. Note that this channel of communication with the IRS takes longer to work.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: to find out where to mail or fax your completed form, visit the designated section on the official IRS website. The mailing address is different for individual transcripts and all other transcripts. It also depends on the state you lived in or located your business when you filed the return.
Use our modern editor to fill 4506-T Form online with helpful tips and guides!